Hand in Hand
The COS Hand in Hand Refugee Project aims to extend a welcoming sense of community and friendship for status holders by providing support, encouraging integration and helping to expand their social networks.
- The Soul Kitchen: These are monthly dinners prepared alternately by members of the refugee community and the COS international community. These dinners provide an opportunity for volunteer and refugee families to meet each other in a delightful atmosphere of sharing delicious meals and comraderie. Usually between 75 – 90 people attend these.
- Buddy Project: One to one coupling with volunteers and documented refugees which provide opportunities for mutual learning of each other’s cultures, and help newcomers to feel at home in Holland.
- Chat Café: This initiative began on 9 May 2023. On Tuesday evenings in the Atrium and Loft of the Pastoral Centre, a group of volunteers meet to help refugees in our community learn English.
- The Praat Café: On Monday evenings at 19:00 in the Atrium or COS Loft, another group of volunteers and refugee come together in a fun and informal setting to watch Dutch films, share ice-breaker games, and have small group sharings to practice and improve their Dutch language skills.
- Outings: at least twice a year, COS invites refugee families to join in day bus outings with our volunteers to learn and enjoy new places. Included thus far have been trips to Belgium, the Kroller Mueller museum, and the Openluchtmuseum in Enkhuizen.
- Bicycle lessons: one to one lessons with a volunteer paired with someone wishing to learn how to ride a bicycle.
If you would like more information about our projects, please contact the coordinators via the Parish Office.
“The Hollow Men” Monument
Our parish is honored to be the host of “The Hollow Men” monument, dedicated to the memory of the many refugees who died enroute to try to find a new life in Europe. The memorial, located in the garden next to our church, is a place where anyone is welcome to say a prayer or leave floral tributes in their memory, or in memory of a loved one. Since its inauguration in April 2021, it has become a focal point for various memorial services.